ES2 serialization for modding?

Easy Save 2 has been replaced by Easy Save 3, so is no longer supported.
Bradamante3D

ES2 serialization for modding?

Post by Bradamante3D »

Hi there,

I bought Easy Save 2 years ago and now started to use it again. Since then a lot of features where added or I did not notice them before. So now I have a question about it's serialization feature.

I am looking for a way to support modding in my game. In the past I used Unity's own asset bundles, but at some point those became platform-dependent. The content I am loading are images (png's) and GameObjects/prefabs. Those contain a mesh renderer, a mesh and a primitive collider. Problem is the material list contains materials based on Unity's standard shader, but also a material based on a custom shader from the Asset Store. Using asset bundles that custom shader reproduced fine.

In the past I tried Tasharen's serialization tools (formerly TNet) but those did not reproduce the custom material when loading assets. Otherwise this solution worked the way I wanted, i.e. reproducing prefabs and platform independent.

Now I read that Easy Save 2 has similiar functionality? And the feature list for Easy Save 3 sounds even better?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: ES2 serialization for modding?

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

The custom shader you wish to serialise will need to be part of the built project, as Unity provides no way of loading in shaders dynamically in code.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started