Upgrading to v2.19

Easy Save 2 has been replaced by Easy Save 3, so is no longer supported.
Izitmee

Upgrading to v2.19

Post by Izitmee »

Hello,

since I need Windows Phone support, I need to update to v2.19, but I read that previous saves are not compatible. How can I upgrade saves made with the previous version to the new one? I'm saving only string/ints/arrays using PlayerPrefs as the location, so I suppose this should be possible and you have a helper class or something for that?

Also, ES2.SaveLocation doesn't exist anymore in the new version, and I'm puzzled about what could be the replacement for that?

Thanks,
Daniele
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Upgrading to v2.19

Post by Joel »

Hi Daniele,

v2.19 is a very old version (current version is v2.46), but I presume you're upgrading from this version rather than to it.

Unless you're using encryption, you shouldn't need to change your save file. However, if for some reason you do get errors with the format you will simply need to re-save your data.

Also ES2.SaveLocation is now ES2Settings.SaveLocation.

All the best,
Joel
Izitmee

Post by Izitmee »

Hi Joel,

thank you for the info. I wasn't using any encryption, so everything should work then. I'll try the update and let you know.

Cheers,
Daniele
Izitmee

Post by Izitmee »

Hi Joel,

ouch, I was wrong, and instead was using encryption. In this case, how can I load previous Easy Save saved data and upgrade it to the post-2.19 versions?

Thanks
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

I'm afraid you will need to re-save the data as there is no way in which we can do this automatically.

As described in the FAQs, at current encryption is not supported by WP8 or Metro due to a bug with Unity itself, so you will need to disable encryption for WP8 otherwise you will receive errors. We were hoping that Unity would fix this in 4.5, but no such luck.

All the best,
Joel
Izitmee

Post by Izitmee »

Thanks Joel, will do that.
Izitmee

Post by Izitmee »

By the way, a quick off-topic question. Can I move all Easy Save assets inside an Easy Save folder, or I have to leave it inside the Plugins one you package it with?

EDIT: even putting everything Easy Save related inside an Easy Save subfolder of Plugins would be good.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Unfortunately because of the way that Unity handles plugins, Easy Save and it's DLLs have to be kept in the Assets/Plugins folder, or Assets/Plugins/WP8 and Assets/Plugins/Metro for the platform-specific DLLs.

Otherwise platform dependency breaks, and also Easy Save 2 becomes inaccessible from UnityScript. Hope this helps shed some light on why we put the files where we do!

- Joel
Izitmee

Post by Izitmee »

Yes it does, thank you for the insight :)