Autosave for open world

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
lvladimirov

Autosave for open world

Post by lvladimirov »

Hi there!
I have a quick question, that I was not able to find a clear answer for thus far.
I am making an open world game with a lot of equipment that will be moved around, plugged, connected, having stats etc.
The question is - Is there a global solution to saving the entire scene at ones, or does everything need to be handpicked and saved individually (like position, rotation, states in attached scripts etc.)

I saw the autosave solution, but in a scene where you have a few hundred objects, having to manually go trough all and check the box to include them in the save defies the point of an easy setup (not using code). I guess the fact that there isn't a "Select all" button suggests its not a good idea to do it that way (will be too slow?). So am I missing something or is it not in fact that straight forward and I need to implement ES3.Save/Load in all relevant scripts? (which makes sense, just wanna get an idea of how saves are supposed to work and what is the correct way to approach the issue).
Thanks!
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Autosave for open world

Post by Joel »

Hi there, and thanks for getting in contact.

It's not possible to save the entire scene at once as much of it is not serializable at runtime, and it would be very computationally expensive to do so.

As you suggest, instead you should only save the aspects which change. Although still not the most computationally efficient way, you could put all of the GameObjects that you want to save into an array and save that (see the Saving and Loading GameObjects guide for info on what gets saved when you try to save a GameObject: https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... s-prefabs/ ).

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
lvladimirov

Re: Autosave for open world

Post by lvladimirov »

Makes sense, thanks for the info!