Loading works in build but sometimes not in editor

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
HuldaGnodima

Loading works in build but sometimes not in editor

Post by HuldaGnodima »

Hi!

Really loving Easy Save, thank you for making such a fantastic asset!

I'm having a problem where saving/loading will work in the same editor-run. What I mean is I do something (for eg. build tiles on a tilemap) save with ES3, erase the tiles at runtime and load with ES3, and everything looks perfect. All assets and tiles are loaded just as they were saved.

But sometimes (not always) if I turn the game on and off in the editor (restart) and load (the save from the previous editor-run) some tiles won't be rebuilt.
This will also sometimes happen if I restart Unity. If I saved something before shutting it down, and try to load it in the Editor after I've restarted Unity some tiles won't be rebuilt (although I saved them before).

At the same time it seems like saving/loading works well/without hiccups in builds (Even after restarting the game).

I'm at a total loss as to what could be causing this behavior.
Do you have any clue?
I'm not experienced with creating save-systems, so this has got me super-confused. I appreciate any feedback you have!

Could it be that I'm somehow using ES3 incorrectly?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Loading works in build but sometimes not in editor

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

I've had no reports of inconsistent behaviour in the editor, and it wouldn't be possible for me to tell what is happening from what you've said. Please could you create an empty project and produce a basic scene which replicates this and private message it to me with instructions?

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
HuldaGnodima

Re: Loading works in build but sometimes not in editor

Post by HuldaGnodima »

Joel wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:29 pm Hi there,

I've had no reports of inconsistent behaviour in the editor, and it wouldn't be possible for me to tell what is happening from what you've said. Please could you create an empty project and produce a basic scene which replicates this and private message it to me with instructions?

All the best,
Joel
Hi Joel!

Thank you once again, you always reply so fast!
I will try to error-test and see if I can find out what I'm doing wrong. From your reaction I gauge this probably isn't an ES3 issue (since you haven't had reports of it before), and that it's probably something I'm doing wrong. That'll help me debug!
So I'll carefully follow your documentation and see if I can figure it out.

If the problem persists even after I make I clean build I will private message the project to you with instructions, as you suggest. Thank you so very much for offering!

Best regards
Hulda