Remove items from ES3GlobalReferences

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
mdeim

Remove items from ES3GlobalReferences

Post by mdeim »

Hi Joel,

I'm trying to reduce my build size and using an asset finder asset discovered that there are assets in ES3GlobalReferences that are being included even though they are no longer being used.

When I try to manually change these assets as "none" and remove the numbers value, it just automatically reverts back as if I didn't do anything. How can I solve this so it won't be included in build? Thanks.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Remove items from ES3GlobalReferences

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

ES3GlobalReferences should not be included in your build as it's only used at Editor time, and should not be referenced by any of your scenes. How are you determining that it's being included in your builds?

If it is indeed being included in your build, please could you create a new project which replicates this so I can try to work out why Unity is including it in it's build list?

As always, I recommend making sure you're on the latest version of Easy Save.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
mdeim

Post by mdeim »

Hi Joel,

I think you misunderstood me.
I don't think ES3GlobalReferences itself is included in the build but some items within `ES3GlobalReferences`, not sure why though.

The only link they have is that they are a reference to `ES3GlobalReferences`.

For example, I have a background called "Firewatch", which holds a global reference in `ES3GlobalReferences`, and nowhere else.

I found out by looking at my build report =/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.08.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.08.04 PM.png (23.7 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.45.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.45.34 PM.png (140.11 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Would you be able to send me a project which replicates this? Also would you be able to clarify what your first screenshot is of? I've not seen this tool in Unity before.

Only items referenced by your scenes at some point will be added to ES3GlobalReferences, so it's strange that Unity would be deciding to add them because they're referenced by an object which is only referenced in the Editor.

All the best,
Joel
mdeim

Post by mdeim »

Anyway, do you have a simple solution to reset ES3References without sending you a project, I have a kid to take care of and don't have a lot of time in the day. Thanks so much.
mdeim

Post by mdeim »

Asset Usage Detector is the asset, and obviously, it's included because I sent you a build screenshot.

Yes, that's what I think as well. It was included because before it was part of a scene awhile back, and later I didn't use this asset anymore and removed it, ES3References did not get updated.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You can reset it by deleting the ES3GlobalReferences Component from the ES3GlobalReferences object and readding it.

If you do get a chance to create a repro project then I would appreciate it, as I've had no other reports of this and don't seem to be getting the same behaviour at my end. But no worries if you're busy.

All the best,
Joel
mdeim

Post by mdeim »

Hi Joel,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have version 3.3.1f10 • Nov 10, 2020, and I don't seem to see the ES3References object actually get initialized in the scene anywhere yet eS3 has always worked fine for me. So I'm unable to remove it. I've also attached my settings, please advise.

Auto Add Manager to Scene was unchecked due to some previous issue I had with ES3 along while back, in case you're wondering.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.49.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.49.55 PM.png (111.2 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

ES3GlobalReferences is never used in the scene, and is only used in Editor. It exists in Plugins/Easy Save 3/Resources/ES3/.

All the best,
Joel
mdeim

Post by mdeim »

Hi Joel,

Ok in that case, I'm a bit confused. You said:

"You can reset it by deleting the ES3GlobalReferences Component from the ES3GlobalReferences object and readding it."

I don't see the object you're referring to. All I see is this, you're saying I should delete this? This is also where those unneeded refs are as well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 4.38.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 4.38.00 PM.png (51.22 KiB) Viewed 2248 times