Errors

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
aholla

Errors

Post by aholla »

Hi, I'm using easySave3 on a mobile build and I'm getting some errors that I wondered if you could help me with them.

here is the stack track I am getting:

Code: Select all

ES3Settings.IsAbsolute (System.String path) (at <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0)
ES3Settings.get_FullPath () (at <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0)
ES3Internal.ES3Stream.CreateStream (ES3Settings settings, ES3Internal.ES3FileMode fileMode) (at <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0)
ES3Reader.Create (ES3Settings settings) (at <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0)
ES3.KeyExists (System.String key, ES3Settings settings) (at <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0)
I also get this log:

Code: Select all

Default settings were not found in Resources folder 'ES3'.
This appears to be happening on Android devices.

This comes after I call from either "ES3.KeyExists(...)" or from ES3.Save(...).

Thanks,

Adam

p.s. The website seems like it isnt loading so I could not email you directly.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Errors

Post by Joel »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the heads-up on the website being down. Looks like an issue at our server providers end, but it is resolved now.

You appear to have missed out the error message when pasting the stack trace. Would you be able to let me know what error you received, otherwise it's not possible for me to tell what is happening.

If it's just the 'Default settings were not found in Resources folder 'ES3'.' error you are getting, please could you go to Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Resources/ES3/ and check that there is a file in there called ES3DefaultSettings? If so, it seems like this would be a bug at Unity's end, so you would need to report it to them. You might also want to check that you are using a stable version of Unity, rather than a pre-release/alpha/beta version.

If the file is indeed missing, you can bring it back by reimporting Easy Save from the Asset Store.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
aholla

Post by aholla »

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the reply.

This is occurring only a handful of times of different devices. I have not experienced it myself but the game is now live and I see these errors in the Unity Online Crash console.

I checked the resource folder and the file is there. Of course, it works for the majority of users but not all. Initially, I thought that maybe these users have different privileges set on their devices but I don't think that should really affect things.

It appears to be Android only.

The game was built using Unity 2019.2.16f.
Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 14.31.42.png
Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 14.31.42.png (94.35 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 14.31.52.png
Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 14.31.52.png (153.3 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 14.32.05.png
Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 14.32.05.png (44.69 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Files from Resources are compiled into the executable, so it doesn't actually load them from the file system meaning permissions shouldn't be an issue.

If the information is in the Resources folder when you build the project, this is certainly a bug at Unity's end (especially because it is only happening for some users). I would recommend getting in touch with them, preferably by sending a bug report with the information you've sent me (or link them to this thread). I would also recommend sending them a bug report. I would do this myself but as I have no way of replicating it, it's not possible for me to do so.

In the meantime you might want to downgrade your project to an earlier version of Unity 2019.2 to check whether this is an issue with the latest release.

For more detail, the precise piece of code with is triggering the "Default Settings" error simply loads from Resources and checks that the item exists:
var go = Resources.Load<GameObject>("ES3/ES3 Default Settings");
if(go == null)
{
    Debug.LogError("Default settings were not found in Resources folder 'ES3'.");
    return;
}
The "ES3Settings.IsAbsolute" error is triggered because if the default settings cannot be loaded, the path for any settings will be null, so any string operations performed on it would fail.

All the best,
Joel
aholla

Post by aholla »

Hi do you have any ideas for how I might be able to fix this?

I have reported it to Unity but yet to hear from them, in the meantime, the app is getting negative reviews because of this. If I were to remove EasySave then it would be fine, but I would have to change how I save data obviously. This however is probably the route I will have to take.

I tried setting the default settings manually in code and bypass the loading as this seemed like a good idea but i must have missed something because it did not work. I created a new settings file and set all the properties to the defualt set in the scriptableobject. I then set teh _default.setting to this new object.

I have also found, that if you reboot the device and restart the app it works....
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

If it happens to work again upon restarting then it is almost definitely an internal issue at Unity's end. It's not possible for non-internal scripts to affect the state of Resources after runtime or between loads.

If you PM me your invoice number, I'll send over a temporary (and slightly hacky) workaround which will require you to add the ES3DefaultSettings prefab to each scene you're saving/loading from. However, this will be untested and provided without warranty.

If you didn't do so already, I would check that you submitted your issue to Unity using the latest version, as they usually respond quicker.

All the best,
Joel
aholla

Post by aholla »

Thanks, I've sent you a private message.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

aholla wrote:Thanks, I've sent you a private message.
Hi there,

I don't appear to have received a PM from you. Would you mind resending it or sending it to me through the form at moodkie.com/contact?

All the best,
Joel
aholla

Post by aholla »

Ah i wrote it but must have forgot to send.... Anyway, ive sent you a new message.

Thanks!
aholla

Post by aholla »

Ah i wrote it but must have forgot to send.... Anyway, ive sent you a new message.

Thanks!