Updating from much older version

Easy Save 2 has been replaced by Easy Save 3, so is no longer supported.
gegonut

Updating from much older version

Post by gegonut »

I am attempting to upgrade from an older version of Easy Save 2 -- not sure what version, but it would have been purchased 07/20/2013 -- and I'm running into a lot of errors. I'm wondering if you have a specific set of steps to upgrade painlessly (or less painfully?) from such an old version, or if you may have a guide as to what I'm going to need to change.

When I first import the plugin, I get the following errors:

"The type or namespace 'MoodkieFilenameData' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?"
"'ES2' does not contain a definition for 'SaveLocation'"

If I delete the Easy Save 2 folders and re-import, I get a multitude of runtime errors. When I'm loading values from my encrypted file, I get this:

"System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Bad PKCS7 padding. Invalid length x." (where x is different for each value I'm trying to load)

Also, where I was loading values this way:

Code: Select all

try
{
	jackpotTickupCents = (decimal)ES2.Load<float>(saveFile + "jackpotTickupCents", fileSaveSettings);
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
	Debug.Log ("Exception loading in ReadSaveFile () - jackpotTickupCents: " + ex.ToString ());
	jackpotTickupCents = 0.01m;
}
I get this error:

"Easy Save 2 Error: Expected data of type System.Single, but found data of type System.Int32."

And I'm getting exceptions where values don't exist, but that is of course because I'm not checking for their existence first, which I'm taking care of now. Thanks for any assistance you can give!
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Updating from much older version

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

As the Unity Asset Store Importer doesn't delete files, and there's no reliable way of cleaning up files automatically at our end, it's always best to manually delete Easy Save before updating. All of these files should be found in Assets/Plugins.

Also if you're using the new version of Easy Save to load data created with a much older version of Easy Save, this may cause errors. This is because we occasionally have to make changes to the format to make it compatible with newer versions of Unity. This is especially the case when using encryption as we have to update it to keep it secure. In this case, you might need to re-save the data.

Whenever we make a change like this we always put details in the release notes, but as you've not upgraded for quite a while you won't have seen these notes.

See how you get on with the above suggestions. If that doesn't help you, I'll need to see your full saving and loading code so I can have a better chance of understanding any errors you might be receiving.

All the best,
Joel